2012/08/19

Polite or Helpful

The other day I was riding a marshrutka, standing with a heavy bag on my shoulder - it took exactly 20 seconds for a woman sitting nearby to suggest that she could hold it for me, and no no, this is really not a problem, and cmon, it will be easier for me. I took different buses and marshrutkas several times that day, and the same story repeated each time.
It got me thinking: so many times I was complaining that Georgians lack politeness - not that nobody smiles on the street, but people can push you, cut line right in front of you; drivers always beep their horns and shout on each other (and swear too! oh gosh, that's where I'm learning all the swearing words in Georgian....). And they never let the pedestrian cross the street at the zebra place - don't even try that. But I don't want to continue complaining - the point is, being a polite foreigner, one can get really frustrated and stressed out on the street. You have to struggle and fight for yourself, every single day and in many situations. And you also have to get rude at times. Which is hard.
But one thing that outweighs all of this is the extreme warmth and helpfulness of the people when you are in trouble. Not even very serious trouble: if you need to find your way, or to get some information, or you're carrying something heavy, and need an extra hand - there will always be someone near and ready to assist. People give help and ask for it a lot - something that is quite forgotten in some Western countries, where it's just so important to be independent.
I still think that being polite is necessary, and that it helps to make everybody's life just less intense and more pleasant. But being helpful is something so much more real.
If I even had to present Georgia and Georgian people, I would surely put it as a point #1.

No comments:

Post a Comment